Thursday 12 July 2012

Magazine Poster

This project was created for my Publishing Design In Transition Class with Mauve Page. This class thoroughly advanced my Indesign skills. Not only did I learn Indesign skills in Mauve's class, I learned about the design process, which has been invaluable in the creation of subsequent projects. Each project we completed for Mauve's class was submitted in a number of steps:
1. Draw thumbnail sketches of anything that comes to mind related to the project
2. Take the thumbnail sketches and turn them into 3 separate rough drafts
3. Choose your favourite/most effective rough and create a mockup
4. Get feedback from your client/teacher/advisor on the mockup and create a final draft
5. Submit final draft

The purpose of this project was to create a promotional poster for a book or magazine. Because I was working for Adbusters at the time, I decided to create a poster for the 100th issue, which was due out the same month. I was awarded an A+ for the project.

While I do not have each step of the design available in electronic copy (I have a USB Drive Error occur mid project), they are available in hardcopy for your reference. I have included the steps that I do have electronic copies of.

1. Rough


2. Mockup


3. Final Project


Design Rationale


To prepare for this project, I researched multiple back issues of Adbusters magazine, paying particular attention to covers. I also researched posters made by Adbusters Media Foundation for their different initiatives, and tried to adopt a similar design aesthetic; in particular, a “non-design” design.  

The cover that I based my project off of is issue #29, Spring 2000, as showcased in my Graphics Log. The cover represents a generic box with the generic brand name “Magazine.” However, I wanted to communicate that Adbusters is not your typical magazine, as it is known in the commercial industries; instead, it is a Journal of the Mental Environment. To do this I incorporated a distressed, hand-written font over top of the generic “Magazine” font. 

Because of the “non-design” design aesthetic typically used in Adbusters, I used the principle of asymmetrical balance, skewing the images and lettering around the centered “Magazine” title. 

The visual hierarchy intended to attract the viewers’ attention enough so that they were encouraged to read the type on the note paper. The viewer should see the elements in the poster in the following order:

1. Issue #100 starburst (what the poster is selling, only use of red on the page).
2. Title (use of contrast between generic serif font of “Magazine” and the distressed, handwritten font of “this is not a / this is a / Journal of the Mental Environment). 
3. Note (unified with “Magazine” title, viewers eye is drawn from title to note page in a vertical downward motion).
4. Logo (orients the viewer, tells them the name of the magazine)

I chose not to include the cover image of Adbusters #100, as I felt it distracted from the message. The Adbusters as a brand name is recognizable on its own, and there is no coherent trend used on the covers; each are unique in their use of images and font. The star-burst, however, is used on the cover of issue #100, so I used this to unify the poster and the magazine, along with the logo. 

I limited the colors on the poster to contrasting blue and yellow and white and black, with a pop of red to call attention to the “issue #100” message. 

The black, distressed, handwritten font is in sharp contrast with the yellow serif font of “Magazine.” The yellow type and notepaper contrast effectively with the blue background. 

While the handwritten title font and the handwritten notepaper font are different, they are similar enough to still look unified. The black font of the Adbusters logo and the black stars within the red starburst are also unified with the black handwriting.

I tried to create a somewhat jolted rhythm, making the images and font on the page seem as if they were scribbled and taped on half-hazard, staying true to the Adbusters design aesthetic.

I feel like this poster effectively communicates the aesthetic personality of Adbusters. I enjoyed the process of moving from thumbnails to a final project, and really saw my project evolve with each step. 

Image Sources:

Issue 100 Starburst retrieved from Adbusters headquarters, original digital file. 

Adbusters logo retrieved from Adbusters headquarters, original digital file. 

Yellow notepaper retrieved from www.bigstockphotos.com 

Fonts retrieved from www.dafont.com and www.misprintedtype.com

For more information, please view graphics log.



No comments:

Post a Comment